How do you make buses more attractive to suburban commuters?
We spoke about the key elements of a bus service that will make commuters want to leave their cars:
- travel time
Note that not every commuter should be a target for transfer from car to bus. Some journeys are just too complicated! Understand that some parts of a journey are best done by car and others by public transport.
What should we do to make the bus more attractive:
- Improve comfort of the bus.
- Better communicate the value of the bus (what's in it for me): me time, work time, sleep time, tv time - can do a lot with mobile devices.
- Make sure total travel times are reduced by:
- increasing the number of express buses,
- having short local loops at the end of each express line,
- keep local loops short,
- allow regional services to operate small loops on the island, for example, from TCV to Rue Sherbrooke,
- ensure a high frequency of services.
- Incentivize people to try public transport for a period of time so they can understand how much better it is than the car.